Two-time grade III winner Mister Marti Gras will try for a second straight stakes score when he faces an expected five other older horses in the $150,000 Washington Park Handicap (gr. III) Aug. 31 at Arlington Park.
Mister Marti Gras won the inaugural $125,000 Mystic Lake Mile at Canterbury Park July 13 as the 3-5 favorite, a race after Awesome Flower was victorious in the $100,000 Lady Canterbury Stakes.
Ignored at odds of nearly 7-1, undefeated Vacare got the first challenge of her career while prevailing in the $500,000 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup (gr. IT) for 3-year-old fillies on the Keeneland grass course Saturday.
Mayo On the Side, a grade I winner over Azeri, delivered her first foal, a Speightstown filly April 2 at Steve Davison's Twin Creeks Farm near Versailles, Ky.
Mayo On the Side, who beat Horse of the Year Azeri in winning the 2004 Humana Distaff Handicap (gr. I), has been retired from racing and is booked to Eclipse Award sprint finalist Speightstown.
Most Popular Stories
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Tapwrit Works Toward Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double
- Well-Placed Illuminant Shines in Monrovia
- Gormley Works for Possible Belmont Start