A day after it was announced that Rapid Redux would receive the Special Eclipse Award for his accomplishments in 2011, the 5-year-old chestnut was named winner of the Secretariat Vox Populi Award.
With less than two weeks remaining in the Thoroughbred racing season, nearly all of the 2008 leaders have been decided. The lone category without a clear-cut winner is earnings by owner, and it might take until the final few days of the year to determine a victor.
Fast early, Robert L. Cole Jr.'s 7-5 favorite Shake You Down opened up a big lead in the stretch and held off a willing Where's the Ring in the closing yards to win the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) by a head at Oaklawn Park Thursday.
Trainer Scott Lake, leading the nation in wins this year with 250 victories but seldom seen in Florida, holds the strongest hand for the $500,000 Smile Sprint Handicap (gr. III) Saturday at Calder Race Course. He starts the team of Robert L. Cole Jr.'s Shake You Down and Richard Englander's My Cousin Matt in the Summit of Speed stakes for horses 3 and up.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Eyes Scratching of Unreported Geldings
- Favored Act of War Captures Cape Guineas
- California Chrome Drills at Los Alamitos
- Bayern Turns in Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Old Friends to Receive Special Eclipse Award
- Travis Stone Named Churchill Downs Announcer
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Emerald Downs Purses to Rise 20% in 2015
- Bridlewood Owner Malone Purchases Ballylinch
- Casino Would Negatively Impact Finger Lakes