John Mazza, who has been training horses at Monmouth Park for nearly 50 years, was presented with the 2012 Virgil "Buddy" Raines Distinguished Achievement Award Sept. 23.
Listen to Bob Kulina answer questions about Monmouth Park, the future of racing in New Jersey, and more. Listen Now!
Work is in full swing on more than $30 million of renovations and improvements to Monmouth Park in Oceanport, N.J., as the shore oval prepares not only for its 62nd season of racing, but to host the Breeders' Cup World Championships set for Oct. 27.
Highlighted by the $1 million Haskell Invitational on Sunday, August 5, Monmouth Park has released its 2001 stakes schedule featuring 16 stakes events worth $3.6 million. Fifteen of the 16 stakes are graded for the 72-day Monmouth meet, which begins Saturday, May 26, and runs through Sunday, September 2.
Robert J. Kulina, vice president of Thoroughbred racing for the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, said a recent report that the NJSEA was intending to close the Monmouth Park stable area Sept. 22--a week earlier than planned--was false.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win
- Society's Chairman Continues Beating the Odds
- Durkin to Lead Personalized Tours of Hall of Fame
- Lady Eli, Cloud Computing Among Workers for Brown
- Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf Berth for Birdie Gold
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- Crawdaddy Two-For-Two After NYSS Score
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita