John Mazza, who has been training horses at Monmouth Park for nearly 50 years, was presented with the 2012 Virgil "Buddy" Raines Distinguished Achievement Award Sept. 23.
Listen to Bob Kulina answer questions about Monmouth Park, the future of racing in New Jersey, and more. Listen Now!
Work is in full swing on more than $30 million of renovations and improvements to Monmouth Park in Oceanport, N.J., as the shore oval prepares not only for its 62nd season of racing, but to host the Breeders' Cup World Championships set for Oct. 27.
Highlighted by the $1 million Haskell Invitational on Sunday, August 5, Monmouth Park has released its 2001 stakes schedule featuring 16 stakes events worth $3.6 million. Fifteen of the 16 stakes are graded for the 72-day Monmouth meet, which begins Saturday, May 26, and runs through Sunday, September 2.
Robert J. Kulina, vice president of Thoroughbred racing for the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, said a recent report that the NJSEA was intending to close the Monmouth Park stable area Sept. 22--a week earlier than planned--was false.
Most Popular Stories
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online
- Lord Windermere Prevails in Gold Cup Photo
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Pure Romance to Sponsor Bourbonette Oaks
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays