Trainer Carolyn Costigan was flying high in the winner's circle at Woodbine on June 13. Her filly Roan Inish had just pulled a mild upset in the $500,000 Woodbine Oaks presented by Budweiser.
Roan Inish has the stamina and class to take on the boys in the July 4 Queen's Plate, the first race in Canada's Triple Crown.
Overlooked Roan Inish closed with a rush between horses to win the $484,812 Woodbine Oaks by a head over Moment of Majesty in a surprise finish at the Toronto track June 13.
Woodbine-based Arravale burst through along the rail to capture her second grade I event of 2006, taking Sunday's $1 million (Canadian) E.P. Taylor Stakes for fillies and mares at Woodbine.
Canadian-based shipper Arravale made her second venture into Southern California a successful one when she captured the $400,000 Del Mar Oaks (gr. IT) for 3-year-olds on the Del Mar turf Saturday.
Arravale, a 2-year-old daughter of Arch, is now two for two after gliding to victory in the $152,638 Natalma Stakes (Can-III) Sunday at Woodbine.
Inish Glora, last year's Canadian champion grass mare and a finalist for this year's running, has been retired from racing and is booked to major sire Gone West.
Jockey Todd Kabel and Inish Glora stole the featured $322,250 Nassau Stakes (Can-III) with a cleverly planned pace strategy Saturday at Woodbine.
Inish Glora indulged in a little grandstand gazing in the final strides of the $309,000 Canadian Stakes (Can-II), but all eyes were on the bay when she crossed the wire first in the (about) 1 1/8-mile turf event at the Toronto oval on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Suffolk Casino Project to be Put to New Vote
- Arqana Sale Closes With Records