Jockey Edgar Prado, who has won the Virginia Derby (gr. IIIT) three consecutive years, won't have a chance to go down swinging for his own "Grand Slam." Prado had opportunities to ride in the $750,000 grass test for 3-year-olds but kept his commitment to ride other horses.
Racing fans will be deprived of a rematch between the top two finishers of the dramatic May 21 Preakness (gr. I) won by Afleet Alex. Trainer Robbie Bailes and owner Marshall Dowell have decided that runner-up Scrappy T will not run in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) June 11.
Preakness Stakes (gr. I) runner-up Scrappy T will likely make his next start in the $1-million Belmont Stakes (gr. I) rather than the inaugural $500,000 Colonial Turf Cup, for which he is also under consideration.
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- U S Officer, Cool Arrow Set for Springboard
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Trainer Davis Looks Forward to More Success
- Santa Anita Moves American Oaks to Dec. 31
- Northwest Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Track Maintenance Internships Being Offered
- Ward Joins Water Hay Oats Alliance