Jockey Edgar Prado, who has won the Virginia Derby (gr. IIIT) three consecutive years, won't have a chance to go down swinging for his own "Grand Slam." Prado had opportunities to ride in the $750,000 grass test for 3-year-olds but kept his commitment to ride other horses.
Racing fans will be deprived of a rematch between the top two finishers of the dramatic May 21 Preakness (gr. I) won by Afleet Alex. Trainer Robbie Bailes and owner Marshall Dowell have decided that runner-up Scrappy T will not run in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) June 11.
Preakness Stakes (gr. I) runner-up Scrappy T will likely make his next start in the $1-million Belmont Stakes (gr. I) rather than the inaugural $500,000 Colonial Turf Cup, for which he is also under consideration.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Ward: Scope Shows Lady Aurelia Bled
- Connect in Good Shape After PA Derby Win
- Texas Chrome Prevails in Oklahoma Derby
- Runhappy Logs Final Drill for Return
- Solid Keeneland Sale Ends With Declines
- Handle Decreased 26% at Monmouth Park in 2016
- Miyadi Suspended by CHRB After Altercation