Jockey Edgar Prado, who has won the Virginia Derby (gr. IIIT) three consecutive years, won't have a chance to go down swinging for his own "Grand Slam." Prado had opportunities to ride in the $750,000 grass test for 3-year-olds but kept his commitment to ride other horses.
Racing fans will be deprived of a rematch between the top two finishers of the dramatic May 21 Preakness (gr. I) won by Afleet Alex. Trainer Robbie Bailes and owner Marshall Dowell have decided that runner-up Scrappy T will not run in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) June 11.
Preakness Stakes (gr. I) runner-up Scrappy T will likely make his next start in the $1-million Belmont Stakes (gr. I) rather than the inaugural $500,000 Colonial Turf Cup, for which he is also under consideration.
Most Popular Stories
- Upstart Proves Class in Holy Bull Stakes
- Alert Bay Victorious in Cal Cup Turf Classic
- Mischief Clem, 'Kitty Post Upsets in Cal Cup
- Eblouissante Retired, to be Bred in Europe
- Birdatthewire Soars to Easy Forward Gal Win
- First Reported Foal by Justin Phillip a Colt
- Lochte Triumphs in Tampa Bay Thriller
- Sugar Shock Takes American Beauty in Comeback
- Barbados Makes the Grade in Hutcheson
- Consumer Credit Captures Sweetest Chant