Morgan Wayson Jr.'s Apple Special turned in the most sparkling race of his career as he zipped past seven other two-year-olds in the year-end feature at Laurel Park, the $50,000 Maryland Juvenile Championship, to score his first stakes victory.
Move To Strike charged to the lead and kept his opponents at bay to win Sunday's $75,000 Star De Naskra Stakes for 3-year-old Maryland breds at Pimlico.
The familiar blue colors of owner Michael Gill visited the winners' circle four times Thursday at Laurel Park, bringing his total victories for the current Maryland winter meeting to 14 through the first 10 days.
- By Tom Keyser
Little Bold John, one of the most popular horses ever to race in Maryland and one of the most prolific stakes winners in North America, died Jan. 21 after a bout of colic at Weston Farm in Upper Marlboro, Md.
On a muddy track at Pimlico Saturday, Lightning Paces earned a wire-to-wire victory in the $140,000 Baltimore Ravens Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III), defeating 9-5 favorite Milwaukee Brew by 3/4 lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Mastery Passes Two-Turn Test in Futurity
- Thomas Enjoying Versatile Bridlewood Role
- Abel Tasman Upsets American Gal in Starlet
- California Chrome Logs Final 'Challenge' Work
- Bode's Dream Perfect in House Party
- Paulassilverlining Golden in Garland of Roses
- Greatbullsoffire Runs Away With MD Futurity
- Mobile Bay Turns Tables in LA Classic
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Los Al Gets Spotlight