Heros Reward, making his first start since the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint last October, rallied from off the pace and edged a pair of rivals at the wire to take the $100,000 Shakertown (gr. IIIT) April 11 on the Keeneland Turf.
The Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association has announced its 2008 award winners. A presentation of the honors will take place at the organization's annual Christmas party at Laurel Park Dec. 1.
After Heros Reward's aggressive front-running win in the $200,000 Scotts Highlander Stakes (Can-III), Maryland-based trainer Dale Capuano must be wondering why he would leave Woodbine, where his 6-year-old gelding has banked more than $460,000 in earnings in three starts on the turf.
The ultra-consistent Heros Reward took command in the stretch and held on late to record his first graded stakes score in the $500,000 Nearctic (Can-II) on the Woodbine turf course Oct. 21.
Favored Heros Reward notched his fourth successive win when he carried jockey Edgar Prado to a one-length victory in the $100,000 Baltimore City Turf Sprint in the first of eight stakes on the Preakness Stakes card at Pimlico Saturday.
Due carried Rosie Napravnik from last to first while scoring an upset victory in the $250,000 Maryland Million Classic. The 3-10 favorite Cherokee's Boy faded to fifth in his 48th and final start.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeder, Businessman Garvin Dies at Age 71
- Filly First Winner for Sire Elusive Warning
- Condo Commando 'Splash-tastic' in Spinaway
- Midnight Storm Shakes Up Del Mar Derby
- Wise Dan Victorious in Bernard Baruch Return
- Longshots on Saratoga's Closing Day
- Itsmyluckyday Unlikely to Return in Gold Cup
- Wise Dan Passes Return Test in Flying Colors
- Stonestreet Has Star in Making in Atreides
- Jo Jo Warrior Helps Zayat Celebrate Birthday