Grade III-placed Take Charge Brandi will aim for her breakthrough stakes win Saturday, Sept. 6, when she faces an expected nine other 2-year-old fillies in the $200,000 Pocahontas Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
The series of 35 select races--19 "Prep Season" races and 16 "Championship Series" events--is used to determine which horses qualify to the 141st running of the $2 million Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
Churchill Downs released its 'Road to the Kentucky Derby' Series slate for 2013-14. This year there will be two fewer races to earn points toward a starting slot in the Run for the Roses.
It's a long way from the first Saturday in January to the first Saturday in May, but the $200,000 Jerome Stakes (gr. II) and the $100,000 Busanda Stakes at Aqueduct Racetrack could serve as a road map to the future.
Churchill Downs launched the official Web site for the 2007 Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and the official 2007 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) Web site.
Most Popular Stories
- Travis Stone Named Churchill Downs Announcer
- Old Friends to Receive Special Eclipse Award
- Casino Would Negatively Impact Finger Lakes
- Bridlewood Owner Malone Purchases Ballylinch
- Pedigree Analysis: Milwaukee Brew
- Britain's New Steroid Policy Change Delayed
- Musselman Drops Lawsuit Against Churchill
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Slideshow: Top 10 Races of 2014
- Disco Rico Euthanized After Laminitis Battle