In a battle of longtime training brothers, Mel Stute, 75, defeated Warren Stute, 81, when Buffythecenterfold edged favored Watching You by a nose Sunday in the $79,425 Santa Paula Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Santa Anita Park.
Slewpy, the sire of 26 stakes winners including 1992 Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) winner Thirty Slews, died Dec. 19 at Monty Roberts' Flag is Up Farm near Solvang, Calif. The grade I winning son of Seattle Slew was 21.
Under Laffit Pincay Jr., California-bred Road to Slew edged clear of Hollycombe and held off the late challenge of a slew of horses to win the $400,000 Frank E. Kilroe Mile Handicap (gr. IIT) by one length, Saturday at Santa Anita. On a turf track listed as good, Road to Slew completed the distance in 1:35.96.
A field of 11 older turf runners have entered for Saturday's 42nd running of the Frank E. Kilroe Mile on the Camino Real turf course. Formerly run as the Arcadia Handicap, the race was renamed in 2001 to honor longtime Southern California racing secretary 'Jimmy' Kilroe.
Jockey Gary Stevens earned his first stakes victory since November of 1999, riding War Chant to a 1 1/4-length victory over Road to Slew in the Oak Tree Breeders' Cup Mile Stakes (gr. IIT) Saturday at Oak Tree at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Dude! Imperative Shocks Charles Town Classic
- Dynamic Impact Nabs 'Hawk in Illinois Derby
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Frac Daddy
- 'Bea' Changes Tactics, Captures Sugar Maple
- Kid Cruz Wins Tesio, Enters Preakness Picture
- Reddam's Bond Holder Succumbs to Laminitis
- Kentucky Derby Stars Come Out at Keeneland
- California Chrome Cruises at Los Alamitos
- Mr Speaker Takes Down Coolmore Lexington