The Jockey Club released their Report of Mares Bred in 2005 Thursday morning and report that 58,739 mares were covered by 3,097 stallions this year. The released data is reports that have been received through Oct. 13.
The Jockey Club released the 2003 Report of Mares Bred on Thursday. The report, while not complete, shows less than a 1% decline in both the number of covering stallions and the number of mares bred over last year's figures.
The Jockey Club is projecting a 2004 North American registered Thoroughbred foal crop of 37,200, a marginal increase over 2003 and an indication that the foal crop size has stabilized following the decline in 2002 due to Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrome (MRLS).
Most Popular Stories
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Destin Remains On Track for Jim Dandy
- Lanerie Scores Unusual Double at Ellis Park
- Beholder Brilliant in Del Mar Breeze
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- California Diamond Shines in Paddock Sale