Lady Rizzi set the 5 1/2-furlong Mellon Turf Course record of 1:00.66 at Saratoga Race Course in winning the seventh race Aug. 24.
New York-breds thunder into the spotlight Sunday at Belmont Park with another renewal of the New York Stallion Stakes' Spectacular Bid and Cupecoy's Joy Divisions, and trainer Gary Contessa will take a shot at winning both races.
Graded stakes winner Richly Blended was represented by his first winner when his daughter, Cosmo Nan, won July 26 at Santa Rosa.
Fillies by Cherokee Run and Songandaprayer were among the fastest workers Friday during an under tack show for the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s March select sale of 2-year-olds in training in Central Florida.
Mr Sword tuned up for Saturday's $750,000 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland with a five-furlong breeze Tuesday morning over the Central Kentucky oval. The Jennifer Pedersen-trainee got the distance in :57 4/5.
All Rizzi Girl's trainer, William Downing, wanted was a shot at the $125,000 Hillsborough Stakes (gr. III) at Tampa Bay Downs on Saturday. A long shot maybe, but at 10-1 Rizzi Girl got up in the final strides of the about 1 1/18-mile turf race for older fillies and mares to score a neck victory over Sister Star.
Prominent Florida stallion Rizzi is being transferred from Richard Simon's Sez Who Thoroughbreds near Ocala, Fla., to Sez Who North near Stillwater, N.Y.
Most Popular Stories
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage