With a exceptions, the 2004 racing calendar for Indiana Thoroughbred and Standardbred racing could closely resemble this year's program, though Thoroughbred dates would increase slightly under the proposals.
In a poll released Wednesday, 63% of respondents favored slot machines at racetracks in Pennsylvania and 59% also thinking that riverboat gambling would be a good option.
The Indiana Gaming Commission has fined Pinnacle Entertainment more than $2 million and suspended the gaming license of Belterra Casino Resort for two days. The action by the commission came at its monthly meeting July 29 in Indianapolis.
- By Tom LaMarra
The pari-mutuel industry in Iowa got a major boost June 12 when state Supreme Court justices ruled they could "find no rational reason for treating racetrack slot machines differently than riverboat slot machines." Racetracks currently pay a 32% tax, while the riverboats pay 20%.
An odd turn of events threatens any chance for construction of a new riverboat casino in Rosemont, Ill., that is designed to pump tens of millions of dollars a year into the state's horse racing industry.
The action removes a roadblock to construction of a riverboat casino, some revenue from which will be used to pump money into the Illinois racing industry.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- Phantom Dollars Flood Track's Double Pool
- Fairplex, Santa Anita House Evacuated Horses
- Exclusive Contest: Name the White-Headed Foal
- Too Early to Gauge 'Brexit' Effect on Sales
- Mohaymen Back to Work in New York
- Putting Uncle Mo in Perspective