Nominations for five graded stakes events to be run closing week at Churchill Downs were released Nov. 10. Headlining 158 runners are Clark contenders Shackleford, Game on Dude, Pool Play, Take Charge Indy, and Coil.
Green Lantern Stables' Karelian and American Racing Stables' Demarcation, head-bobbing to the wire, finished in a dead-heat in the River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) Nov. 22 at Churchill Downs, each of them earning their first career graded stakes win in the process.
Zayat Stables' Thorn Song has a big class edge, but will have to break from post 11 and concede three-to-nine pounds to his rivals, as the multiple graded stakes winner headlines the $100,000-added River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Churchill Downs grass Nov. 22.
Front-running Warleigh nearly pulled off a theft of Sunday's $172,800 River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) on a yielding Churchill Downs turf, but he could not hold off the relentless charge of upsetter Hard Buck in the final stages.
Turf Classic (gr. IT) winner Honor In War is back in training after a minor ankle injury knocked him out of last week's Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) at Oak Tree at Santa Anita. Trainer Paul J. McGee is considering a possible run on the dirt in the biggest event of the Churchill Downs' fall meet, the $500,000-added Clark Handicap (gr. II) on Nov. 28.
Most Popular Stories
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Imperative Repeats in Charles Town Classic
- Collected Impresses Again in Californian
- Multiplier Steps Up His Game in Illinois Derby
- Call To Mind Delivers Late Birthday Gift to The Queen
- Cloud Computing to Bypass KY Derby, Point for Preakness
- Gormley Works Smartly at Santa Anita
- Twisted Tom Takes Sloppy Tesio
- Finest City, Songbird Drill Toward Spring Starts
- Trio Zips On OBS Spring Sale's Final Under Tack Day