Nominations for five graded stakes events to be run closing week at Churchill Downs were released Nov. 10. Headlining 158 runners are Clark contenders Shackleford, Game on Dude, Pool Play, Take Charge Indy, and Coil.
Green Lantern Stables' Karelian and American Racing Stables' Demarcation, head-bobbing to the wire, finished in a dead-heat in the River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) Nov. 22 at Churchill Downs, each of them earning their first career graded stakes win in the process.
Zayat Stables' Thorn Song has a big class edge, but will have to break from post 11 and concede three-to-nine pounds to his rivals, as the multiple graded stakes winner headlines the $100,000-added River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Churchill Downs grass Nov. 22.
Front-running Warleigh nearly pulled off a theft of Sunday's $172,800 River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) on a yielding Churchill Downs turf, but he could not hold off the relentless charge of upsetter Hard Buck in the final stages.
Turf Classic (gr. IT) winner Honor In War is back in training after a minor ankle injury knocked him out of last week's Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) at Oak Tree at Santa Anita. Trainer Paul J. McGee is considering a possible run on the dirt in the biggest event of the Churchill Downs' fall meet, the $500,000-added Clark Handicap (gr. II) on Nov. 28.
Most Popular Stories
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby
- Secret Circle, Itsmyluckyday in Cigar Mile
- Cary Street Leads 11 in Hawthorne Gold Cup
- Churchill Proposes Derby Bet on Winning Sire
- Derby Winners Have Enjoyed Turf Success
- Lord Nelson Could Rule Kentucky Jockey Club
- Speedy Cassatt Dusts Rivals in Zia Park Oaks
- Romans Likes Added Distance for Remsen Pair
- Unbeaten Dame Dorothy Can Cap Year in Comely
- Sageburg Will Stand in Ireland in 2015