Strait of Mewsina, trailing the field heading into the turn for home, finished best of all to post a 19-1 surprise in the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) in Illinois.
Stakes winners Great Notion and Scrimshaw were represented by their first winners May 25.
Dare to Dream Stable's Nicole's Dream, a winner of 24 of 53 starts under the care of trainer Larry Rivelli, has been retired.
The 6-year-old mare Nicole's Dream set a five-furlong turf course mark at Arlington Park Sunday when she won the $47,550 J J'sdream Stakes for the third time in four years.
Breaking like a rocket from the gate, Nicole's Dream shot to the early advantage and led all the way to win the $100,000 Mamzelle Stakes to kick off a deep and rich Kentucky Derby (gr. I) stakes weekend. The 5-year-old Florida-bred mare defended her title in the Mamzelle, having won the race last year by a nose.
Dare to Dream Stable's Nicole's Dream, piloted by Robby Albarado, resisted Tangier Sound in a prolonged stretch battle to win the $117,700 Mamzelle Stakes for older fillies and mares Thursday at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Reddam's Bond Holder Succumbs to Laminitis
- California Chrome Cruises at Los Alamitos
- Frac Daddy Powers Home in Ben Ali
- Mr Speaker Takes Down Coolmore Lexington
- La Verdad Shows Her Heels in Distaff Handicap
- Grand Tito Takes Off-the-Turf Miami Mile
- Kentucky Derby Stars Come Out at Keeneland
- It's a Dundeel Wins at Aussie Championships
- Rosalind Works Toward Kentucky Oaks