The Gold Cup (Eng-I) is Ascot's oldest surviving race and attracted 18 entrants for this year's renewal June 20 at the Royal meeting, including previous winners Colour Vision and Rite of Passage.
Excelebration, runner-up to Frankel on four occasions and third behind him once, finally escaped the superstar's shadow when he took the QIPCO Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I) Oct. 20 at Ascot in determined fashion.
Excelebration, the world's second-best miler behind Frankel, tops a field of eight set for the QIPCO Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I) on Oct. 20 at Ascot.
This year there is a close contest on the general sires' list between Giant's Causeway and Distorted Humor, currently separated by $189,000. Read Blog
The Wertheimer family's Goldikova, who on Nov. 6 at Churchill Downs won her third consecutive Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), was named Horse of the Year in the Cartier Awards.
Rite Of Passage survived an epic duel with Age Of Aquarius to claim the Gold Cup (Eng-I) by a neck at Royal Ascot June 17.
Most Popular Stories
- Hollywood Derby Likely After Chrome's Workout
- Don't Tell Sophia Leads Falls City Handicap
- Big Macher Shows Star Quality in Cary Grant
- East Gift Takes Unusual Path Back to Clark
- Tom's Tribute Tops Talented Seabiscuit Cast
- Ocho Ocho Ocho Cashes Jackpot, Now 3-for-3
- Calgary Cat Sizzles in Kennedy Road Triumph
- Shipper Holiday Star Faces 10 in Turf Cup
- Take Charge Brandi Takes Down Delta Princess
- Danon Shark Wins Mile Championship Thriller