Lloyd Madison Farms' favored Silver Minister drew away from the field to post an impressive victory over a strong group of invaders in the $100,000 John Battaglia Memorial for 3-year-olds Saturday, his fourth consecutive victory at Turfway Park.
Three East Coast-based colts are scheduled to tackle the local contingent of 3-year-olds Feb. 28 in the $100,000 John Battaglia Memorial Stakes--final local prep for the March 20 Lane's End Stakes (gr. II)--at Turfway Park.
Vincent Papandrea's Little Matth Man, last most of the way, gobbled up the muddy inner dirt track at Aqueduct on Saturday afternoon, and rallied for an upset victory in the $82,875 Whirlaway for 3-year-olds at a mile and a sixteenth.
It certainly wasn't the biggest race of the season, but Monday's $81,225 Fred "Cappy" Capossela had to be special to Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas' New York operation. The winner, Quick Action is owned by longtime client Overbrook Farm, whose founder, William T. Young, died last week.
Most Popular Stories
- Stephanie's Kitten to be Offered at F-T Sale
- Kentucky Downs Adds 16 Stable Cameras
- Second Purse Hike at Ohio's ThistleDown
- TOBA August Member of the Month
- Big Drama Colt Leads OBS Select Session
- Limitations and Advances in Lameness Assessment
- Magic Touch: Human Therapist Helps Racehorses
- Travers Upset: V. E. Day Over Wicked Strong
- Mine That Bird Movie Set for Wider Release
- Shared Belief's Hidden Key to Greatness