A filly by young German sire Wiesenpfad brought the highest price at the BBAG yearling sale Aug. 30, selling for 390,000 ($514,970 in U.S. funds) to California-based Narvick International.
Nearly four months to the day after Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum's Darley Japan operation earned a rare license to compete on the exclusive Japan Racing Association circuit, the privilege was lost at the end of November.
Sheikh Mohammed owns a rapidly growing breeding operation in Japan, but he can't get an owner's license from the Japan Racing Association (JRA) even though he has tried for years.
A strapping filly from the first crop of the Kingmambo stallion King Kamehameha smashed the world record for a foal or weanling sold at public auction Tuesday in Japan.
Sheikh Mohammed's involvement in Japanese racing is to be stepped up next year, with six 2-year-old colts set to race for Darley Japan, probably based at Funabashi Racecourse.
Most Popular Stories
- Frivolous Posts Falls City Handicap Upset
- After Gallop, California Chrome Ready to Go
- Finnegans Wake Prevails in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Daddy D T Tops Cecil B. DeMille Stakes
- Salutos Amigos Rallies to Win Fall Highweight
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby
- Nathaniel Filly Tops Tattersalls Foal Session
- Discreet Marq, La Tia Square Off in Matriarch
- Euros Inside and Out After Japan Cup Draw
- An Opportunity for Hoppertunity in the Clark