A filly by young German sire Wiesenpfad brought the highest price at the BBAG yearling sale Aug. 30, selling for 390,000 ($514,970 in U.S. funds) to California-based Narvick International.
Nearly four months to the day after Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum's Darley Japan operation earned a rare license to compete on the exclusive Japan Racing Association circuit, the privilege was lost at the end of November.
Sheikh Mohammed owns a rapidly growing breeding operation in Japan, but he can't get an owner's license from the Japan Racing Association (JRA) even though he has tried for years.
A strapping filly from the first crop of the Kingmambo stallion King Kamehameha smashed the world record for a foal or weanling sold at public auction Tuesday in Japan.
Sheikh Mohammed's involvement in Japanese racing is to be stepped up next year, with six 2-year-old colts set to race for Darley Japan, probably based at Funabashi Racecourse.
Most Popular Stories
- 2015 Dates Conflict at Two Kentucky Tracks
- Alcibiades Kicks Off Return to Keeneland Dirt
- Hong Kong Sprinter to Have U.S. Prep for BC
- Tracks Find Human Touch Key With New Apps
- Grade III Winner Fiftyshadesofgold Retired
- Big Brown Colt Tops Magic Millions 2YO Sale
- Added-Gaming Funds More Than Third of Purses
- Stopchargingmaria Will Be Offered at F-T Sale
- Espinoza Suspended for Awesome Again Ride
- Galileo Colt Leads Strong Goffs Orby Session