Turtle Bird Stable's Haynesfield, winner of the Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I) in 2010, has been honored as New York-bred Horse of the Year for the second year in a row.
Rightly So, favored in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint (gr. IT), was scratched around noon Nov. 5, the day of the seven-furlong test at Churchill Downs.
Zayat Stables' Rightly So was installed the 3-1 morning line favorite after drawing post 13 for the $1 million Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint (gr. I). Fourteen will go in the seven-furlong event with two also-eligibles.
Rightly So found grade I success for the first time when she led all the way in the $250,000 Ballerina Stakes over a speed-favoring Saratoga main track Aug. 28.
Informed Decision, the reigning champion female sprinter, will look for her third straight win in the Ballerina Handicap (gr. I), a race that also has grade I winner Jessica Is Back in its field.
Breezing in company over the main track at Saratoga early the morning of Aug. 15, Devil May Care had her final serious work for the matchup with West coast-based Blind Luck in the Aug. 21 Betfair TVG Alabama Stakes (gr. I).
Rightly So ran a thrilling wire-to-wire race at Belmont Park, holding off the favorite Qualia.
Rightly So will try to carry her speed seven furlongs when she faces seven other fillies and mares in the $150,000 Bed o' Roses Handicap (gr. III) July 5 at Belmont Park.
Hour Glass, trainer Todd Pletcher's second horse in Belmont Park's Vagrancy Handicap (gr. II), held off Tar Heel Mom by a half-length to win the $150,000 event for fillies and mares May 29.
Alex Rankin's Tar Heel Mom, the Distaff Handicap (gr. II) winner last month at Aqueduct, will tote top weight of 119 pounds as the 5-2 morning-line favorite in the $150,000 Vagrancy Handicap (gr. II) May 29 at Belmont.
Ramon Dominguez rode four stakes winners Oct. 24 at rainy Belmont Park, including a three-quarters of a length victory by Haynesfield in the $250,000 Empire Classic.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Union Rags Colt Goes for $1 Million at OBS