Jockey David Amiss recorded the 1,000th victory of his career at Suffolk Downs Sept. 22, guiding Adahai to the wire first in the $50,000 African Prince Stakes.
John Rigattieri, a leading trainer in New England who has made his presence felt while wintering in Maryland the past few seasons, jumped out in front of the pack when he saddled three winners at Pimlico on Thursday's opening day card.
A dozen out-of-town trainers from New England and Delaware have relocated to Maryland for the winter bringing 120 more horses to Pimlico, Laurel Park and the Bowie Training Center.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Full Gate for Pat Day Mile
- Former Derby Hopefuls Meet in American Turf
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation