The NTRA, Lockton Insurance Brokers, and Burns & Wilcox Brokerage have completed development of a new jockey accident coverage insurance program for racetracks that aims to offer enhanced coverage.
Improving race safety will be at the forefront of discussions when the Jockeys' Guild Assembly returns to Hollywood, Fla., Jan. 19-20, 2015. The assembly is taking place following the Eclipse Award ceremonies.
At the Welfare and Safety of the Racehorse Summit July 9 at Keeneland, organizers of the Jockey Injury Database said added participation will help generate needed statistical information.
- By Claire Novak
Workers come out after the break, when the track is freshly harrowed and smooth as soft brown sugar. Most are ridden by jockeys dressed in trendy casual-wear, shiny helmets, spiffy vests. They stride onto the surface, jog up the wrong way, turn, gallop into it, get set down, and - boom - kick into high gear.
- By Tom Precious
Two senior New York Racing Association officials, including a onetime top jockey, were indicted Sept. 21 in state court on fraud and other charges as part of a scheme in which jockey weights were fabricated at NYRA tracks.
Del Mar's jockeys, seeking to aid victims of Hurricane Katrina, have volunteered to participate in a dunk tank over Labor Day weekend to raise funds toward relief.
Jockey Russell Baze has won the Isaac Murphy Award presented by the National Turf Writers Association for the seventh consecutive year.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- McCarron: Clarification
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Stopchargingmaria in F-T November Sale
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier