A memorial service has been set for highly respected pinhooker and trainer Ricky Leppala, 62, who died Nov. 4 at his home in Ocala, FL, after a brief battle with cancer.
A strapping A.P. Indy colt became one of the most expensive horses ever sold at the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s spring sale of 2-year-olds in training when he brought $675,000 April 20. Jimmy Bell, the president of Sheikh Mohammed's Darley America operation, signed the sale ticket in the name of John Ferguson Bloodstock as the auction began its four-day run in Central Florida with increases in the number of horses sold, gross revenue, and average price.
A colt from the first crop of Hook and Ladder sold for $260,000 to top the second session of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. spring sale of 2-year-olds in training Wednesday in Central Florida.
Skip to the Stone, winner of the 2001 Bay Shore (gr. III) at Aqueduct and Baldwin Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita Park, has been retired after finishing third in the Independence Day Handicap at Emerald Downs earlier this month.
Florida-bred Crowned Dancer led throughout under Alex Solis to win the Hollywood Juvenile Championship (gr. III) at Hollywood Park on Saturday, upstaging the Bob Baffert-trained Kafwain, the even-money favorite in the six-furlong event for 2-year-olds.
A gelding from the first crop of Northern Afleet topped the second session of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's spring juvenile auction Tuesday, bringing a $120,000 bid from New Jersey bloodstock agent Buzz Chace.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Unlocking Winners Kentucky Derby 142 Analysis
- Repole Returns With Outwork for Uncle Mo
- Nancy From Nairobi Wins Royal Heroine
- Beholder to Make 2016 Debut in Adoration
- Big Blue Kitten Heads Woodford Turf Classic
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence