William M. Rickman Sr., who was instrumental in helping to save Delaware Park in the mid-1980s after it had closed due to declining business and competition from nearby racetracks, died Sept. 30 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital in Rockville, Md. He was 84.
Jazz Club, a multiple graded stakes winner, was represented by his first winner when his daughter Maddy's Our Girl won July 6 at Delaware Park first time out.
An antitrust lawsuit filed last year by owner Michael Gill against Delaware Park has been settled, which paves the way for the nation's leading owner in 2003 to return to action at the track when its live meet opens Saturday.
Owner Mike Gill, the nation's leading owner who has been mired in controversy in recent months after unprecedented success at Gulfstream Park, plans to disperse his stable of more than 270 horses over the next two years and leave the sport entirely.
Delaware Park has added five days to this season's schedule.
The Maryland Jockey Club has loaned $5.1 million to the owner of Rosecroft Raceway to buy Ocean Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Mike Mitchell to Step Down as Head Trainer
- 5 Tips for Feeding Weanlings
- Key Owners, Trainers to Publicize Vet Records
- A Case for Full Siblings
- Ky Derby: Form, Pedigree, Speed, & Red Flags
- Harlan's Holiday Colt Posts Swiftest OBS Work
- Quality Road's First Starter Scores Easy Win
- Take Charge Lady Kentucky Broodmare of Year
- Injury Knocks Constitution Off Derby Trail
- Daring Dancer Wins Appalachian With Key Move