More than six months after pledging a thorough investigation into the death of jockey Jorge Herrera, the California Horse Racing Board released a summary of its findings Jan. 10.
In the aftermath of a jockey's death as the result of a massive brain injury July 5 at the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, Calif., management has agreed to staff its track ambulance with a licensed paramedic.
County fairs at San Joaquin and Alameda got the Northern California summer circuit off to a good start with strong growth over corresponding meets a year ago despite racing fewer dates.
Seeing many former customers preferring to stay home, the California Horse Racing Board wants to woo fans back to the state's simulcast centers.
With the hour glass emptying on Bay Meadows and perhaps Hollywood Park as well, the California Horse Racing Board heard from industry representatives working on contingency plans for the future of Thoroughbred racing in the state without two of its major tracks.
The Alameda County Fair closed its 11-day meet with the second highest handle in fair history. A total of $34.58 million was wagered on the Pleasanton signal, an increase of 6% from the 2002 meet. The largest gains were in out-of-state wagering, which totaled $8.74 million, an increase of 14% from $7.46 million wagered last year.
- By Jack Shinar
Northern California's Alameda County Fair wants to install a $3 million turf course at its Pleasanton racing facility later this year. But the fair's chief executive officer wants to see it used for more than an annual 11-day summer meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Five Share Fastest Time in Fasig-Tipton Sale Works
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Unique Bella Tops Roster of 109 Kentucky Oaks Nominees
- Looking East, to Far East, for Classic Starters
- Willy North Returns to Sales Scene at Fasig-Tipton
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death