A provision voiding the claim of a horse placed on the veterinarian's list for bleeding was approved for a 45-day public comment period by the California Horse Racing Board, though members expressed their concerns.
- By Jack Shinar
It was only a single day on the proposed 271-day Thoroughbred racing circuit in Southern California in 2004. But for representatives of the state's owners and trainers appearing Thursday before the California Horse Racing Board, it was meaningful.
Hollywood Park made gains following a disappointing opening weekend due to rain, but was unable to erase the deficit. Attendance and handle figures were down from 2001 following Sunday's conclusion of the 35-day Autumn Meet.
The California Horse Racing Board Thursday surprisingly denied Hollywood Park permission to close all betting when the post time clock clicks to "zero."
Hall of Fame jockey Julie Krone tasted her first victory in more than three years Thursday when she piloted Jade Vixen to an easy win in the eighth race at Hollywood Park.
The proposed transfer of Los Angeles County Fair racing dates from Fairplex to Santa Anita Park has drawn immediate opposition from another tenant of Santa Anita, the Oak Tree Racing Association, as well as others.
Will Nevada-style gambling come to California racetracks soon? Not likely, said the president of the Federation of California Racetracks, Jack Liebau, who offered only lukewarm interest for a state gambling initiative that would allow racetracks to offer a full range of Las Vegas-style games, including slot machines.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Grade 1 Winner Gormley Works Toward Next Start
- Consignors Bullish on Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale
- White Beauty Lineage
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Laurel Park to Introduce Fans to Ownership Experience