Trainer Todd Pletcher sends out 'live' contenders in all four of Saturday's stakes at Gulfstream Park. That includes the $225,000 Richter Scale Breeders' Cup Sprint Championship Handicap (gr. II) when he saddles Marie and Aaron Jones' undefeated 4-year-old Half Ours with John Velazquez aboard.
Mister Fotis was all out to hold off Sir Greeley in a slight upset in the $189,000 Richter Scale Breeders' Cup Sprint Championship Handicap (gr. II) Saturday at Gulfstream Park as Silver Train, the TVG Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) champion, was not a factor.
Buckram Oak Farm's 4-year-old Silver Train emerged as a star in the 3-year-old sprint division last fall and he'll try to pick up where he left off in Saturday's $200,000 Richter Scale Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) in his 2006 debut at Gulfstream Park.
Tracy Farmer's homebred Sir Shackleton wore down the surprise pacesetter Clock Stopper in the final sixteenth of a mile after a long drive and drew clear to win the $200,000 Richter Scale Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) in track record time at Gulfstream Park Saturday.
Trainer Dallas Stewart is set to unwind Clock Stopper on South Florida when the speedy son of Gilded Time takes the gate for Saturday's Richter Scale Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II), going seven furlongs at Gulfstream Park.
The defection of Congaree from Saturday's Commonwealth Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland, opens the race up a bit wider for its six entrants. After all, Congaree, who was taken out of consideration after a bout of colic, is a multiple graded stakes winner whose victories include the Carter Handicap (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?