Magna Entertainment Corp. has sold Great Lakes Downs in a lease-back deal that will allow it to operate a live Thoroughbred meet at the western Michigan facility and pursue plans for Michigan Downs, a proposed racetrack in the Detroit metropolitan area.
Michigan Racing Commissioner Robert Geake said Aug. 9 he would authorize the transfer of the license for Great Lakes Downs near Muskegon from MI Racing Inc., a fully owned subsidiary of Magna Entertainment Corp., to Richmond Racing.
Groups for and against the proposed transfer of Michigan's Great Lakes Downs racing license had their say at a state racing commission hearing in Lansing July 29. And what they said was nothing more than expected.
The proposed transfer of the racetrack license held by Great Lakes Downs to Richmond Racing is scheduled to be June 29 by the Office of Michigan Racing Commissioner.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Curlin Colt Tops Strong Keeneland Session
- Flashback Retired to Stand at Hill 'n' Dale
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion
- Fast Anna Get Class Relief in Gallant Bob
- Equine Encephalitis Reported in New York
- Oversight Board Reviews NYRA Finances
- Churchill, Yum! Brands Ink 5-Year Agreement
- Three-Time Grade I Winner Behrens Dies
- Velazquez to Ride Euro Charline in QEII