A worker on the starting gate crew was killed at Penn National Race Course shortly after the start of the fourth race the evening of June 8.
With no additional positive tests for Equineherpes virus-1 since Feb. 26, Penn National Race Course was prepared to lift the quarantine of horses stabled in Barn U on March 19, track general manager Richard Schnaars said.
The first joint meeting of the boards of the Thoroughbred Racing Associations and Harness Tracks of America was considered a success, but whether the two organizations continue to meet jointly on a regular basis remains to be seen.
Two additional positive tests for the Equineherpes-1 virus Feb. 26 at Penn National Race Course have prompted Philadelphia Park to extend its ban on shipping into and out of the Grantville, Pa., track to March 19. Racetracks in neighboring West Virginia have also decided to implement the shipping restriction as a precaution.
The winds which swept through the eastern half of the United States over the weekend left behind a casualty at Penn National Race Course--the infield tote board.
In a major change, Penn National Race Course has decided to racee Thursdays instead of Sundays in 2001.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Takes Haskell With Ease
- Records Fall on Haskell Day at Monmouth Park
- TOBA July Member of the Month
- Rachel's Valentina Sparkles in Debut
- 'Maria' Upstages Champ Untapable in Shuvee
- Sharp American Pharoah Ready for Return
- Gimme Da Lute Dominates Real Good Deal
- American Pharoah Takes the Haskell
- Texas Red, Frosted Likely to Meet in Travers
- Jim Dandy: Texas Red Denies Frosted