Mark Stanley's grade I-winning millionaire Swift Temper, the 5-2 second choice in the morning line for the Nov. 26 Falls City Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs, has been scratched from the race because of an injury and has been retired.
Mark Stanley's Swift Temper, returning to action off less than two weeks rest, upset odds-on favorite Seventh Street in the $300,000 Ruffian Handicap (gr. I) Sept. 12 in the mud at Belmont Park. The 1 3/4-length victory earned the 5-year-old daughter of Giant's Causeway an automatic berth in the $2 million Breeders' Cup Ladies Classic (gr. I) Nov. 6 at Santa Anita.
Swift Temper dictated the pace for jockey Alan Garcia and kicked away in the stretch to post a surprisingly easy 2 1/4-length upset in the $1-million Delaware Handicap (gr. II) July 19 at Delaware Park.
Mark Stanley's Swift Temper fought back along the inside in deep stretch to post a gutsy head victory over California shipper Santa Teresita in the $200,000 Sixty Sails Handicap (gr. III) April 18 at Hawthorne Race Course.
Swift Temper, who was 2-for-18 lifetime and had not won since February 2007, pulled off a shocker in the $150,000 Gardenia Handicap (gr. III) Aug. 16 at Ellis Park, romping to a 4 1/2-length victory under Victor Lebron at odds of 21-1.
Richard Nip's Everyday Angel, an impressive winner in her last trip to the post, and Darley's Zosima, two for three in her brief career, head a field of 11 2-year-old fillies entered in the $100,000 Arlington-Washington Lassie (gr. III) on Saturday's closing day card at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Outwork, Destin Turn in Final Derby Breezes
- Olorda Front-Running Winner of Bewitch
- 3 Kentucky Derby Longshots to Consider
- Lady Shipman Returns to U.S. In License Fee
- Le Havre colt a Guineas sale pinhook coup
- Lani Works in Perplexing Fashion