Mario Pino, the leading rider in the history of Maryland racing, could miss four to six weeks for hernia surgery, which he is scheduled to undergo March 15.
Harry and Tom Meyerhoff's Vegas Play won an eventful running of the $75,000 Maryland Juvenile Championship for state-bred 2-year-olds Saturday at Laurel Park.
Apprentice jockey Richard Monterrey rode his first winner in the United States when he was aboard Sunshine Bloodstock Inc.'s Panama Mon ($27.20) in the fifth race at Gulfstream Park on Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern Wires Haskell; Favored Untapable 5th
- Big Macher Collects Grade I Bing Crosby Win
- Antipathy Convincing Winner in Muddy Shuvee
- Guys Reward Finds Path to Oceanport Tally
- Valid Breaks Through With Monmouth Cup Win
- Tonalist, Kid Cruz Exit Jim Dandy Well
- Starstruck Back to Winning Ways in Matchmaker
- Ageless Equals Course Record in Royal North
- Majestic River Rolls to Molly Pitcher Win
- Jockey Maria Thornton Gets First Victory