Mario Pino, the leading rider in the history of Maryland racing, could miss four to six weeks for hernia surgery, which he is scheduled to undergo March 15.
Harry and Tom Meyerhoff's Vegas Play won an eventful running of the $75,000 Maryland Juvenile Championship for state-bred 2-year-olds Saturday at Laurel Park.
Apprentice jockey Richard Monterrey rode his first winner in the United States when he was aboard Sunshine Bloodstock Inc.'s Panama Mon ($27.20) in the fifth race at Gulfstream Park on Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes