Mario Pino, the leading rider in the history of Maryland racing, could miss four to six weeks for hernia surgery, which he is scheduled to undergo March 15.
Harry and Tom Meyerhoff's Vegas Play won an eventful running of the $75,000 Maryland Juvenile Championship for state-bred 2-year-olds Saturday at Laurel Park.
Apprentice jockey Richard Monterrey rode his first winner in the United States when he was aboard Sunshine Bloodstock Inc.'s Panama Mon ($27.20) in the fifth race at Gulfstream Park on Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park