Mario Pino, the leading rider in the history of Maryland racing, could miss four to six weeks for hernia surgery, which he is scheduled to undergo March 15.
Harry and Tom Meyerhoff's Vegas Play won an eventful running of the $75,000 Maryland Juvenile Championship for state-bred 2-year-olds Saturday at Laurel Park.
Apprentice jockey Richard Monterrey rode his first winner in the United States when he was aboard Sunshine Bloodstock Inc.'s Panama Mon ($27.20) in the fifth race at Gulfstream Park on Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Dettori Strikes With 'Gold' in 2000 Guineas
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid
- Danzing Candy Logs Final Derby Breeze
- Cathryn Sophia Gets Early Morning Workout
- Romans' Derby Pair Breezes at Churchill
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Familiar Four-Furlong Breeze for Weep No More
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses