Back on Polytrack after a 10th-place finish in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands, We Miss Artie took charge in upper stretch and held off a tenacious Majestic Sunset to win the $150,000 Plate Trial Stakes.
- By Frank Angst
- Thoroughbred Racing, Thoroughbred Breeding, Triple Crown, Northeast Region, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, West Region, Kentucky
Likely Kentucky Derby (gr. I) favorite California Chrome will try to become the first California-bred to win the Louisville classic since Decidedly in 1962, but six other Derby hopefuls were also foaled outside of Kentucky.
Charging hard down the center of the track at Turfway Park, We Miss Artie had his sights set on dueling leaders Coastline and Harry's Holiday. A jump past the wire and no one knew who got it.
Favored Yummy With Butter, ridden with procession by Paco Lopez, made it consecutive grade III wins on the Monmouth Park turf with a 3 1/4-length tally in the $100,500 Cliff Hanger Stakes Sept. 4.
Yummy With Butter, winning his first race in nearly two years, ran away from Sayif late to take the Oceanport Stakes on the Monmouth Park lawn july 31.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- Sherman Staying in the Moment With California Chrome
- Shaman Ghost Works Bullet in Pegasus Prep
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Suddenbreakingnews Set to Return at Oaklawn
- Castellano Scores Fourth Straight Eclipse as Top Jockey
- Arrogate Logs Final Pegasus Work
- Beholder Goes Out a Champion, Earns Fourth Eclipse
- Still in Tune, Songbird Earns Second Straight Eclipse
- Arrogate, Flintshire Power Juddmonte to Owner Eclipse