On a raiding trip from Canada for Hall of Fame trainer Roger Attfield, Ontario-bred Shakhimat galloped to his first graded score in the $100,000 Transylvania (gr. IIIT) April 8 on Keeneland's spring meet opening day.
For the second consecutive, the selected sale of Canadian-bred yearlings resulted in a drastic decline in gross, average, and median prices.
Nearly a year after Nat Rea bought his first Thoroughbreds, the Canadian will see the first runners bearing the colors of his Regis stable in action before the end of the current Saratoga Race Course meet.
Though he spent $1.45 million Jan. 8 on a yearling Street Sense filly at Keeneland's January sale, retired Canadian businessman Nat Rea says he is taking a cautious approach to his investments in the Thoroughbred industry.
Esther Marr recaps Day 4 of the Keeneland November breeding stock sale, including the day's top sellers, and comments from Richard Hogan, Bloodstock Agent. Sponsored by Taylor Made Sales Agency. Watch Video
Charles Fipke's homebred champion Perfect Soul (IRE), sire of 2011 Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf (gr. IT) winner Perfect Shirl, will stand the 2012 breeding season at the Hunderup family's Norse Ridge Farm.
A strong second select session at the Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society's yearling sale of Canadian-bred youngsters at Woodbine helped spur an 11% jump in average price from 2010.
The cream of the Canadian-bred sales yearling crop rose to the top at the selected session of the annual sale held by the Ontario division of the Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society on Sept. 7 at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Lexington Horseman Randolph Dies
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx