In the wake of recent conflict over its structure, the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association announced "major leadership changes" after a closed May 23 board of directors meeting held at Laurel Park.
The Maryland Jockey Club and Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association reached an agreement in principal Dec. 17 to race up to 146 days at Laurel Park and Pimlico Race Course in 2012.
The co-owner of Maryland's race tracks is trying to secure a deal that would provide 140 days of live racing in 2011.
An agreement has been reached to allow wagering on Maryland Jockey Club racing by three leading advance deposit wagering companies, ending a standoff with horsemen that threatened to shut off related signals.
Another horse has been euthanized at Laurel Park after testing positive for equine herpesvirus (EHV-1). A private veterinarian of trainer Joe Delozier euthanized General Strike Jan. 25. The 3-year-old showed no signs of improvement after testing positive for the virus Jan. 19.
The deal that would settle the 2006 racing schedule in Maryland remained elusive on the night of Dec. 21 when the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association refused to accept the latest proposal from Magna Entertainment Corp.
Purses at Maryland's racetracks will fall well short of the mark sought by horse owners in the state under new slot machine legislation proposed by Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. on Wednesday night.
The Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association has reiterated its position that live racing shouldn't be suspended in the state in June and July, and that Colonial Downs in Virginia should continue to offer Thoroughbred racing in September and early October.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale