Arlington International Racecourse may have a rare visitor from Hong Kong for this summer's Arlington Million (gr. IT) in Richard Gibson-trained Akeed Mofeed.
Nearly 100,000 people gathered at Sha Tin and Happy Valley racecourses in Hong Kong Feb. 2 to celebrate the Year of the Horse during the traditional Chinese New Year race day.
Akeed Mofeed, the Hong Kong Derby winner in the spring, worked through a tight spot at mid-stretch to win the Longines Hong Kong Cup (HK-I) from Tokei Halo Dec. 8 at Sha Tin, while American hopeful Little Mike finished ninth.
For the second consecutive year, a French-trained winner of the Geelong Cup (Aus-III) captured Australia's most famous race, the Aus$6 million Melbourne Cup (Aus-I).
Doctor Dino returned to Sha Tin to land back-to-back victories in the Dec. 14 Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Vase (HK-I). In a thrilling finish, he topped the luckless Purple Moon by a head in the HK$14 million (US$1.82 million) race.
The much-traveled French-bred Doctor Dino heads a field of 10 evenly-matched turf specialists entered in the $2 million Pattison Canadian International (Can-I) on the Woodbine turf course Oct. 4.
L'Agence Francaise president Phillipe Augier blamed buyers' selectivity and reduced home-based demand for a drop in figures at the Deauville, France company's flagship August yearling sale which took place Aug. 21-24.
Lune d'Or recorded a smooth two-length victory in the Premio Lydia Tesio (Ity-I) at Rome's Capannelle Sunday, leading a French one-two in the 1 1/4-mile test for fillies and mares.
Most Popular Stories
- Jim Rome Remembers Shared Belief
- Runhappy Gets Back to Work at Keeneland
- Millionaire Grade I Winner Dads Caps Retired
- A Travers Day Christmas Present
- Del Mar Critics Speak Out at CHRB Meeting
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Weak OBS August Sale Fails to Recover
- Flintshire Looking Strong for Sword Dancer
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- Veitch's Suspension Sent Back to KHRC