Fresh off an impressive effort in the Northern Dancer Turf Stakes (Can-I) at Woodbine, 7-year-old The Pizza Man seeks back-to-back grade I scores, this time in $1 million Pattison Canadian International Oct. 16 at the Toronto racetrack.
Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots closed its 144th racing season March 27 with Florent Geroux, Mike Stidham, and Midwest Thoroughbreds taking the respective jockey, trainer, and owner titles.
Rejuvenated from a six-month winter/spring Florida vacation, The Pizza Man has come back remarkably strong this season and is now on-track to face Europe's best runner in the Longines Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT).
When he won the Xpressbet Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), Work All Week became only the second Illinois-bred to capture a Breeders' Cup event. He won five of six starts in 2014 and was second once for earnings of $1,131,173.
Win machine Work All Week remained undefeated in nine starts on dirt and stamped his ticket to the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) with a smart win in the $200,000 Stoll Keenon Ogden Phoenix Stakes (gr. III) at Keeneland Oct. 3
Richard and Karen Papiese's Midwest Thoroughbreds surpassed a 38-year-old single-season record for victories by an owner this month with 501 winners from 1,706 starters in 2012. The old record was 494 wins.
The 90-day meeting at Arlington Park ended Sept. 30 with trainer Wayne Catalano, jockey Francisco Torres, and owners Richard and Karen Papiese's Midwest Thoroughbreds all claiming titles.
Most Popular Stories
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Abel Tasman, Elate Exit CCA Oaks in Good Order
- Hard Aces Looks for Repeat in Cougar II
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Awesome Banner Posts Bullet Ahead of Vanderbilt