Jockey Alex Solis, who was instrumental in bringing sports agent and rare-coin collector Dwight Manley to the attention of the Jockeys' Guild, said he's committed to turning around the Guild and hopes to bring it back to prominence in the Thoroughbred industry.
Jockeys' Guild chairman John Velazquez and other board members from the organization met Monday to discuss the June 26 selection of California sports agent Dwight Manley as the Guild's national manager. Velazquez, speaking about Guild issues for the first time since mid-June, said Tuesday the organization's main objective remains to work with horsemen in a positive manner.
The apparent hiring of the team of sports agent Dwight Manley and civil rights activist the Rev. Jesse Jackson as national manager has created uneasiness among some members of the Jockeys' Guild who put their support behind Dave Stevenson, a former rider and consultant with knowledge of the inner workings and politics of the pari-mutuel industry.
Jockeys' Guild officials are optimistic that the organization's finances will improve, but much hinges upon the resolution of lawsuits and payments by some jockeys for health insurance.
- By Tom LaMarra
Jockeys' Guild officials are optimistic the organization's finances will improve, but much hinges upon the resolution of lawsuits, payments by some jockeys for health insurance, and contributions from racetracks.
Jockeys must "leverage their share of power" in the horse racing industry and have the right to bargain collectively, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said June 26 as Jockeys' Guild leadership moved toward a decision on the individual or company that will serve as its national manager.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful
- Flashy Debut for Royal Delta Half Brother
- 74-Year-Old Horseplayer Wins 2015 NHC Title
- Desormeaux Sets Derby Path for Texas Red
- Sportive Overcomes Fog to Win Portland Mile
- Wildcat Red Sidelined with Back Muscle Pull
- Options Abound for Holy Bull Winner Upstart
- First Reported Foal for Gig Harbor is Colt
- Bob Neumeier Wins Celebrity Challenge at NHC
- Upstart Proves Class in Holy Bull