Monique Koehler, known for her tireless work saving retired racehorses through Thoroughbred retirement programs, will be recognized with the 2009 Special Eclipse Award, it was announced Dec. 30.
The California Retirement Management Account Foundation is awarding $264,000 to 12 different charitable organizations caring for retired California race horses in its second year of raising funds.
A bill providing that 20 percent of the proceeds from California racing "charity days" go to nonprofit corporations caring for retired racehorses has been introduced in the state assembly.
Most Popular Stories
- Suffolk Downs, Horsemen Have Deal for Meets
- American Pharoah Shows Readiness for Rebel
- Caesars' Moves Impact Turfway, ThistleDown
- TJC Acquires Majority Interest in Blood-Horse
- California Chrome Working Steadily for Dubai
- Nerud 3-Year-Old Wins Again at Big A
- Kentucky Oaks Attracts 154 Nominees
- Charles Town, Oaklawn, Laurel Cancel Cards
- Insights on Jockey Club's Purchase of B-H
- West Point to Sponsor BC Betting Challenge