On Nov 5, Michael Cavey and Nancy Temple had a reason to pop some bubbly. At 33-1, Champagne Room, bred in the name of their Respite Farm, stamped herself as the probable champion 2yo filly with a 3/4 victory in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies.
Undefeated Uncle Mo tops the graded stakes earnings list for 3-year-olds that will likely determine the participants in the field for the 137th running of the $2 million Kentucky Derby.
Favored Inhisglory used a ground-saving trip to hang on for a head-bob at the wire by a nose over outsider Banjammer in the $50,000 Turfway Prevue Stakes Jan. 8 at Turfway Park.
Playa Maya, the dam of 2010 Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) winner Uncle Mo, sold for $1.65 million during the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky November breeding stock auction in Lexington.
Proud Heiress, rallying gamely seven paths wide for jockey Chantal Sutherland, nosed odds-on choice Tribal Belle at the wire in the $151,785 Whimsical Stakes (gr. III), the first graded stakes of Woodbine's season April 18.
A Silver Deputy filly was bought by agent Respite Farm for $160,000 Monday, the top price of the opening session at the three-day Fasig-Tipton Kentucky Fall Yearling Sale at Newtown Paddocks in Lexington.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 2 Winner Iliad Retired
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Practical Joke Rewards Breeders' Faith in His Dam
- Thunder Snow Enters Quarantine at Churchill Downs
- Horseman Mike Johnson Knows a Good One in McCraken
- Wilkes Continues to Do Nafzger Proud
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Derby Museum to Become Home for Lukas Collection