Saturday's 50th running of the $750,000 United Nations Handicap (gr. IT) at Monmouth Park could materialize as a repeat of last year's edition, won by the old pro With Anticipation, who defeated Denon by a neck in a thrilling finish to the 11-furlong classic.
A vastly improved Denon, runaway winner of the Manhattan Handicap (gr. IT) on Belmont Stakes Day, and Moon Ballad, winner of the Dubai World Cup (UAE-I) earlier this spring, head a group of 109 Thoroughbreds nominated to this summer's Arlington Million (gr. IT) at Arlington Park.
Bobby Frankel ran one-two in the $400,000 Manhattan Handicap (gr. I) Saturday at Belmont Park, with Denon holding off Requete in the 10-furlong turf race. Frankel sends out Empire Maker in the following race, the Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
Enhancements in purse and graded status over the past four years have made the $650,000 Explosive Bid Handicap (gr. IIT) at Fair Grounds an attractive race for shippers from across the country.
Adminniestrator, who has won his last two races, including the inaugural $500,000 Barretts/CTBA Turf at 1 1/8 miles in the Sunshine Millions on Jan. 25, will stretch out to 12 furlongs in Saturday's $250,000 San Luis Rey Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita.
Requete, a British-bred son of Rainbow Quest, won Thursday's featured $84,900 San Marino Handicap at 1 1/4 mile on the turf at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Winning Crown Connections Feel It's Time
- Keen Ice Breezes Nicely; 'Pharoah' Walks
- American Pharoah Impressive in Workout
- 2-Year-Olds Prep for Barretts Del Mar Sale
- WGOH: Restoring, Not Expanding
- War Story to Skip Belmont, Head to Ohio Derby
- Untapable Works Toward Ogden Phipps Stakes
- American Pharoah 'Went Great' in Slop at CD
- NBC Sports Commentators on 'Night School'
- NY Begins Weekly Track Information Reports