Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell paid a special visit to Barbaro Thursday at the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals and brought along a check for $13.5 million that will be used for new facilities at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine's New Bolton Center.
Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, at a Jan. 27 news conference, said he was tired of the legislature's inability to pass a gambling bill and was fashioning his own bill to authorize slot machines at 12 locations in the state.
The Pennsylvania legislature may be close to passing both a budget and slot machine legislation, perhaps by the end of the week of Dec. 15.
Two new members were recently appointed to the Pennsylvania State Racing Commission by Gov. Ed Rendell, replacing one whose term had expired and another who resigned.
A bill that would expand gambling beyond the realm of slots at racetracks is expected to be introduced in Pennsylvania this week, a Philadelphia television station reported Tuesday.
Ed Rendell, who won a landslide victory in the Pennsylvania governor's race on Tuesday, has said that his top priority when he takes office is to lower property taxes in the state, which he intends to do by allowing slot machines at the five racetracks in the state.
Most Popular Stories
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Illuminant Upsets Wekeela in Gamely Stakes
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York
- Cyrus Alexander Wins Lone Star Handicap
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- Exaggerator Gallops Lap Around Belmont Track
- Living The Life Beats Males in All American
- Untapable Prepares for Start in Fleur de Lis
- The Art of Exaggerator's Stud Deal
- Belterra Stakes Dead Heat Follows Churchill