Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell paid a special visit to Barbaro Thursday at the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals and brought along a check for $13.5 million that will be used for new facilities at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine's New Bolton Center.
Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, at a Jan. 27 news conference, said he was tired of the legislature's inability to pass a gambling bill and was fashioning his own bill to authorize slot machines at 12 locations in the state.
The Pennsylvania legislature may be close to passing both a budget and slot machine legislation, perhaps by the end of the week of Dec. 15.
Two new members were recently appointed to the Pennsylvania State Racing Commission by Gov. Ed Rendell, replacing one whose term had expired and another who resigned.
A bill that would expand gambling beyond the realm of slots at racetracks is expected to be introduced in Pennsylvania this week, a Philadelphia television station reported Tuesday.
Ed Rendell, who won a landslide victory in the Pennsylvania governor's race on Tuesday, has said that his top priority when he takes office is to lower property taxes in the state, which he intends to do by allowing slot machines at the five racetracks in the state.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Unlocking Winners Kentucky Derby 142 Analysis
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Nancy From Nairobi Wins Royal Heroine
- Repole Returns With Outwork for Uncle Mo
- Beholder to Make 2016 Debut in Adoration
- Big Blue Kitten Heads Woodford Turf Classic
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby