Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell paid a special visit to Barbaro Thursday at the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals and brought along a check for $13.5 million that will be used for new facilities at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine's New Bolton Center.
Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, at a Jan. 27 news conference, said he was tired of the legislature's inability to pass a gambling bill and was fashioning his own bill to authorize slot machines at 12 locations in the state.
The Pennsylvania legislature may be close to passing both a budget and slot machine legislation, perhaps by the end of the week of Dec. 15.
Two new members were recently appointed to the Pennsylvania State Racing Commission by Gov. Ed Rendell, replacing one whose term had expired and another who resigned.
A bill that would expand gambling beyond the realm of slots at racetracks is expected to be introduced in Pennsylvania this week, a Philadelphia television station reported Tuesday.
Ed Rendell, who won a landslide victory in the Pennsylvania governor's race on Tuesday, has said that his top priority when he takes office is to lower property taxes in the state, which he intends to do by allowing slot machines at the five racetracks in the state.
Most Popular Stories
- Posse Offspring Take Pair of NY-Bred Stakes
- Gentildonna Goes Out On Top in Career Finale
- Main Sequence Arrives in Florida for Winter
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Lady Pimpernel Gets First U.S. Win in Frankel
- Is Early Detection of Arthritis in Horses Finally a Reality?
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream