Strong demand for young mares, especially those from the highly successful racing and breeding program of Bob and Beverly Lewis and from the dissolution of the breeding partnership of Stone Farm and Stonerside Stable, boosted Tuesday's second session of Keeneland's November breeding stock sale.
This Saturday marks the 20th anniversary of the Breeders' Cup, and only one trainer has saddled horses in each rendition of racing's biggest day. D. Wayne Lukas, in addition to his vast success in Triple Crown events, is by far the winningest Breeders' Cup conditioner.
Robert and Beverly Lewis' multiple stakes-placed Renaissance Lady, who was eased in the Sept. 28 Oak Leaf Stakes (gr. II) in her last start, worked five furlongs in :59 4/5 over Santa Anita's fast main track Saturday morning in preparation for what will likely be her next start in the Oct. 25 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I).
Lady's Secret Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) winner Got Koko was in good shape Monday morning, trainer Bruce Headley reported, and is probable to run next in the Oct. 25 Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) at Santa Anita.
Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas won the $110,900 Debutante Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs for the record fifth time when his trainees Be Gentle and Renaissance Lady ran 1-2 in the 103rd renewal of the race July 4.
The Debutante Stakes (gr. III) has been run at Churchill Downs for more than a century. A win in Friday's 103rd renewal by D. Wayne Lukas would put the Hall of Fame trainer in very exclusive territory. Lukas will be shooting that day for an unprecedented fifth victory in the race.
Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas will saddle three fillies in Friday's Debutante (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Farrell Vaults to Top of Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Yorkiepoo Princess Scores Again at Aqueduct
- Unified Edges Mind Your Biscuits in GP Sprint
- Honorable Duty Holds Strong in Mineshaft Handicap
- Convey Edges Out Winter Derby Victory
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death