Jockey John Velazquez, the leading rider of the Belmont Fall Championship Meet, watched rival rider Jose Santos win the first three stakes on the New York Showcase Day card Saturday. Then he won the next three.
Twelve horses have been entered for Saturday's $100,000
Noble Damsel (gr. III) for fillies and mares at one mile on the turf at Belmont Park, but that many are not likely to run.
Tortured twice by losing photo finishes in graded stakes races recently at Saratoga, trainer Christophe Clement and jockey Jose Santos got a bit of payback when Waterville Lake Stable's Celtic Sky got up at the wire to beat front-running Reluctant Groom by a nose in the $82,900 West Point Handicap.
I'm All Yours and Reluctant Groom, the top two finishers in last year's West Point Handicap, will resume their rivalry on Friday in the 23rd running of the $75,000-added West Point Handicap for 3-year-olds and older New York-breds at nine furlongs on the turf.
Volponi earned his first career win Sunday at Belmont Park, upsetting formerly undefeated 4-5 favorite Baptize in the $113,300 Pilgrim Stakes (gr. IIIT).
Most Popular Stories
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- Songbird Works at Santa Anita, Target Unknown
- Surgical Strike Gets His Graded Stakes Win
- Exaggerator Arrives at Belmont Park
- Makahiki Wins Japanese Derby
- Lexie Lou Back to Winning Ways at Woodbine
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Royal Ascot Journey Confirmed for Tepin
- Enola Gray Passes Two-Turn Test in Melair