Sanford Goldfarb's Aggadan is the horse to beat when he faces eight rivals in Aqueduct's first graded stakes race of 2005, the $100,000 Aqueduct Handicap (gr. III) Sunday at 1 1/16 miles.
Taking advantage of lucrative purses for Maryland-bred stakes races, trainer Richard Dutrow Jr. sent Aggadan to Pimlico for his last three races. But with the $100,000 Aqueduct Handicap (gr. III) to be run on Aggadan's home track at 1 1/16 miles, the 6-year-old horse will make his next start in that race Saturday.
Stephan de Kwiatkowski and his sister, Arianne, have a message for the Thoroughbred industry: The children of the late Henryk de Kwiatkowski are committed to the future of Calumet Farm.
Calumet Farm, which since 1992 has been home almost exclusively to horses owned or bred by Henryk de Kwiatkowski, will soon be open to other owners for boarding and training purposes.
Saturday's Arkansas Derby has 12 colts scheduled to contest its nine furlong distance for a shot at the $500,000 purse.
Calumet Farm's favored Region Of Merit wore down front-running Hear No Evil in deep stretch and held off a determined late run from Aristocat to take Sunday's $250,000 Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III).
Calumet Farm's Region of Merit is the 5-2 morning line favorite for Sunday's $250,000 Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III). The son of Touch Gold will break from the outside post position in the nine-horse field. In the $150,000 Florida Oaks (gr. III) on the same card, Kinsman Stable's Ebony Breeze is the one to beat.
REGION OF MERIT
An ice storm that resulted in electricity being off at The Blood Horse and many other locations throughout Central Kentucky put this week's Derby Report on hold for a few extra days. But there certainly was no shortage of power at Gulfstream and Fair Grounds last Saturday, as Badge of Silver, Trust N Luck, and Lion Tamer sent a jolt of electricity throughout the Derby trail.
Most Popular Stories
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Brisk Activity Bodes Well for OBS Spring Sale