Odds-on choice El Gato Malo fell from the ranks of the unbeaten when Colonel John held the closer off in the final furlong to win the $200,000 Sham Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita March 1.
West Point Thoroughbreds' El Gato Malo puts his unbeaten record on the line against Colonel John and five others in the $200,000 Sham Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita March 1. Another entrant, Coast Guard, will be scratched due to a minor ankle injury.
Be careful how you handle Crown of Thorns. As we're well aware, the impressive winner of the Feb. 2 Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II) has never run on a real dirt track. But with that said, let's pretend it will make no difference, and that he will be as good on dirt as he looked in the Bob Lewis.
While he may be light in seasoning, Crown of Thorns showed a world of potential in handily stretching out to two turns Feb. 2 at Santa Anita, scoring a dynamic 2 1/2-length victory as the favorite in the $200,000 Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II).
B. Wayne Hughes' Crown of Thorns, a seven-length maiden winner in his most recent start for trainer Richard Mandella, warrants plenty of attention for his first route try in the $200,000 Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Feb. 2.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Oaklawn Park to Open 57-day Meet Jan. 10
- DiEmanuele Named to Woodbine's Board
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase