For the second year in a row, Boisterous registered back-to-back graded stakes wins on turf in the Knickerbocker Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Belmont Park and the Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) at Aqueduct.
While most of Shug McGaughey's focus Nov. 3 will be on preparing Point of Entry for the Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) at Santa Anita Park, the Hall of Fame trainer also will be starting a talented turf runner at Aqueduct.
Charles Hatton, Bill Nack, Steve Crist, and Walter "Red" Smith are the inaugural selections to the National Museum of Racing's Joe Hirsch Media Roll of Honor.
Veteran New York sportswriter Vic Ziegel, who died July 23 at the age of 72, will be honored with a race in his name on Friday, Aug. 27, at Saratoga.
Dick Jerardi of the Philadelphia Daily News became a five-time winner and three newcomers earned top honors as Churchill Downs announced the winners of its 2006 Red Smith Kentucky Derby Writing Contest, which annually recognizes the best in print media coverage of America's greatest race.
Irish-bred King's Drama, ridden confidently on the front end by Edgar Prado, ran to his 3-5 odds when pulling away in mid-stretch for an authoritative win in the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Aqueduct turf course Saturday.
Steve Haskin, senior correspondent for The Blood-Horse was honored with his fourth Red Smith Award writing award Friday, it was announced by Churchill Downs.
It was a balance of old and new among the four winners in Churchill Downs 21st annual Red Smith Kentucky Derby Writing Contest.
Man From Wicklow, Whitmore's Conn, and Evening Attire are among the 16 horses entered in Saturday's Red Smith Handicap at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- City Wolf Joins Roster at Pleasant Acres
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- Free Mammography Screening at Turfway Dec. 27
- Ritvo to Receive Lou Smith Memorial Award
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says