He may have been cocky and charismatic, but to Norah Pollard her father was even more than that: John "Red" Pollard was a superhero.
The Seabiscuit Heritage Foundation and Frank R. Howard Memorial Hospital - built 80 years ago by Charles S. Howard, owner of Seabiscuit - are slated to benefit from a special Ridgewood Ranch tour and reception in honor of the legendary runner's 75th birthday.
"Spider-Man" star Tobey Maguire has signed on to play jockey Red Pollard, who piloted the fabled Depression era horse Seabiscuit, in the major motion picture release of the Laura Hillenbrand book "Seabiscuit: An American Legend."
Most Popular Stories
- Delaware Park Cancels July 28 Racing Program
- Bayern Wires Haskell; Favored Untapable 5th
- Milestone Victory for Jockey Centeno
- Big Macher Collects Grade I Bing Crosby Win
- Tonalist, Kid Cruz Exit Jim Dandy Well
- Del Mar Shifting Turf Races After Breakdowns
- Antipathy Convincing Winner in Muddy Shuvee
- Valid Breaks Through With Monmouth Cup Win
- Wicked Strong Gets Redemption in Jim Dandy
- Starstruck Back to Winning Ways in Matchmaker