On March 7 at Santa Anita Park the track and Seabiscuit Heritage Foundation will celebrate the 75th Anniversary of Seabiscuit and Red Pollard's history-making win in the Santa Anita Handicap of 1940.
Seabiscuit jockey Red Pollard's race-worn saddle, which he wore upon the back of the famed champion, is among the rare Seabiscuit memorabilia being offered as part of the Lelands.com sports catalog auction.
He may have been cocky and charismatic, but to Norah Pollard her father was even more than that: John "Red" Pollard was a superhero.
The Seabiscuit Heritage Foundation and Frank R. Howard Memorial Hospital - built 80 years ago by Charles S. Howard, owner of Seabiscuit - are slated to benefit from a special Ridgewood Ranch tour and reception in honor of the legendary runner's 75th birthday.
"Spider-Man" star Tobey Maguire has signed on to play jockey Red Pollard, who piloted the fabled Depression era horse Seabiscuit, in the major motion picture release of the Laura Hillenbrand book "Seabiscuit: An American Legend."
Most Popular Stories
- Contreras Suspended for Oxycodone Use
- Airoforce Ready for 2016 Debut in Risen Star
- Motion, Team Valor Collaborate with Kasseopia
- Evans, Fitzgerald to Audition at Santa Anita
- Willis to Chair New Mexico Racing Commission
- Casse Cues Up Sam F. Davis Wildcard
- Legends: Rachel Alexandra, Filly for the Ages
- 'Conversation' Back in NorCal for El Camino
- Birdatthewire Heads Santa Maria Field
- Tepin Set for Season Debut in Endeavour