The crowd appeared to thin out a bit at Wednesday's session of the Keeneland November Breeding Stock sale, but it wasn't any easier for buyers to get a foot in the door. The totals in gross, average, and median rose this year compared to last year's figures.
Favorite Minister's Baby disposed of longshot pacesetter Red n' Gold in the final turn and held off Lakenheath by 1-3/4 lengths in Saturday's $200,000 Gardenia Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares at Ellis Park.
Trainer Steve Asmussen will saddle the favorite, Descapate, in Saturday's $100,000 Oaklawn Breeders' Cup Handicap at Oaklawn Park, which serves as a major prep for fillies and mares pointing toward the 1 1/16 mile Apple Blossom Handicap (gr. I) on April 6.
Most Popular Stories
- One-Fifth Curlin Share Surpasses $6 Million
- American Pharoah Has Final Work for Haskell
- American Pharoah Will Dictate Race Schedule
- CDI Plans to Demolish Calder Grandstand
- Darby Dan Promotes Hammond to Vice Chairman
- Solow Aims to Keep Win Streak Alive in Sussex
- Frac Daddy Retired With Suspensory Strain
- United Tote Renews With Keeneland, Red Mile
- Small Farm Yields Big Returns for Smith
- It's Wait and See for Large WV Derby Field