The crowd appeared to thin out a bit at Wednesday's session of the Keeneland November Breeding Stock sale, but it wasn't any easier for buyers to get a foot in the door. The totals in gross, average, and median rose this year compared to last year's figures.
Favorite Minister's Baby disposed of longshot pacesetter Red n' Gold in the final turn and held off Lakenheath by 1-3/4 lengths in Saturday's $200,000 Gardenia Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares at Ellis Park.
Trainer Steve Asmussen will saddle the favorite, Descapate, in Saturday's $100,000 Oaklawn Breeders' Cup Handicap at Oaklawn Park, which serves as a major prep for fillies and mares pointing toward the 1 1/16 mile Apple Blossom Handicap (gr. I) on April 6.
Most Popular Stories
- Gleneagles Targets Breeders' Cup Classic
- Dispersal Planned for Rea's Regis Farms
- Wise Dan Completes Final Breeze for Woodbine
- Gural-Owned Tracks Join Integrity Coalition
- Ireland and the Thoroughbred
- Churchill Downs Plans $18 Million in Upgrades
- Texas Tracks Prepare for Sept. 1 Shutdown
- American Pharoah to Parade at Del Mar
- Woodward Stakes Field Could Prove Intriguing
- Espinoza Fined for Wearing Promo Material