Having added four additional days of racing to its lineup in 2004, Virginia's Colonial Downs posted all-time total attendance and handle records, and reported a rise in the average daily on-track handle.
Rock Opera, ridden by 55-year-old Laffit Pincay, Jr., and True Phenomenon, under Thoroughbred racing's comeback jockey of the year, Patrick Valenzuela, won divisions of the featured Oceanside Stakes today before the largest opening-day crowd in Del Mar history, 37,439.
Most Popular Stories
- Speedy Moreno Dangerous Again in Woodward
- Indicators Drop at Ocala August Yearling Sale
- Target on Wise Dan for Bernard Baruch Return
- Santa Anita's Main Track to Reopen Sept. 2
- Solis Returns to California to Ride Full Time
- Sunset Glow Has Experience Edge in Debutante
- Gains Posted as Doncaster Premier Sale Ends
- Stephanie's Kitten to be Offered at F-T Sale
- Kentucky Considers Allowing Salix-Free Races
- Miss Behaviour Cuts Back for Prioress Run