Russian Greek, who overcame a stumble at the start to win the Gold Rush Stakes last month, is the 122-pound high weight for his return to Golden Gate Fields in the $100,000 California Derby Jan. 14.
On the first anniversary of Hurricane Katrina's destruction of the Gulf Coast, the restoration project at Fair Grounds Race Course continues, as does the countdown to the return of racing.
Construction crews at Churchill Downs are working double shifts in an effort to complete the steel skeleton of the racetrack's new six-story clubhouse before the start of the fall meet Oct. 26.
Most Popular Stories
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Louisiana Derby Season Begins
- Pegasus Workers Drill Across Florida
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- Chrome and Arrogate: Who to Root For?
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Grade 3 Winner Chitu Sires First Foal
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm