Suffolk Downs will shut down Jan. 1 because the Massachusetts legislature has failed to approve legislation to authorize full-card simulcasts beyond the end of 2006.
Suffolk Downs; Plainridge Racecourse, a Standardbred track; and two Greyhound tracks, Raynham-Taunton and Wonderland, have an agreement in place that allows for cross-breed and cross-species simulcasting, according to published reports. The racing law in Massachusetts expired last year, so the tracks are operating on an extension.
Most Popular Stories
- Hollywood Derby Likely After Chrome's Workout
- Don't Tell Sophia Leads Falls City Handicap
- Big Macher Shows Star Quality in Cary Grant
- East Gift Takes Unusual Path Back to Clark
- Tom's Tribute Tops Talented Seabiscuit Cast
- Calgary Cat Sizzles in Kennedy Road Triumph
- Ocho Ocho Ocho Cashes Jackpot, Now 3-for-3
- Shipper Holiday Star Faces 10 in Turf Cup
- Danon Shark Wins Mile Championship Thriller
- Take Charge Brandi Takes Down Delta Princess