Suffolk Downs will shut down Jan. 1 because the Massachusetts legislature has failed to approve legislation to authorize full-card simulcasts beyond the end of 2006.
Suffolk Downs; Plainridge Racecourse, a Standardbred track; and two Greyhound tracks, Raynham-Taunton and Wonderland, have an agreement in place that allows for cross-breed and cross-species simulcasting, according to published reports. The racing law in Massachusetts expired last year, so the tracks are operating on an extension.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern Turns in Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Emerald Downs Purses to Rise 20% in 2015
- Travis Stone Named Churchill Downs Announcer
- California Chrome Drills at Los Alamitos
- Old Friends to Receive Special Eclipse Award
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Bridlewood Owner Malone Purchases Ballylinch
- Casino Would Negatively Impact Finger Lakes
- Pedigree Analysis: Milwaukee Brew
- OBS Winter Mixed Sale Catalog Now Online