Suffolk Downs will shut down Jan. 1 because the Massachusetts legislature has failed to approve legislation to authorize full-card simulcasts beyond the end of 2006.
Suffolk Downs; Plainridge Racecourse, a Standardbred track; and two Greyhound tracks, Raynham-Taunton and Wonderland, have an agreement in place that allows for cross-breed and cross-species simulcasting, according to published reports. The racing law in Massachusetts expired last year, so the tracks are operating on an extension.
Most Popular Stories
- Chrome Facing Retirement With Poor BC Effort
- Midnight Lucky Out of F&M Sprint, Retired
- Dayatthespa Silenced All Doubters
- Ward Sends Talented Duo to Juvenile Turf
- WinStar Buys Half Interest in Daredevil
- Moreno in Sharp Breeders' Cup Classic Drill
- The Big Apple's Big Vote
- Presque Isle Horsemen Payments Delayed
- Fair Grounds Ordered to Restore Purse Funds
- NJ Sports Betting Put on Hold by Court Order