Suffolk Downs will shut down Jan. 1 because the Massachusetts legislature has failed to approve legislation to authorize full-card simulcasts beyond the end of 2006.
Suffolk Downs; Plainridge Racecourse, a Standardbred track; and two Greyhound tracks, Raynham-Taunton and Wonderland, have an agreement in place that allows for cross-breed and cross-species simulcasting, according to published reports. The racing law in Massachusetts expired last year, so the tracks are operating on an extension.
Most Popular Stories
- Chuck Borell Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Limousine Liberal Seeks Graded Score in Smile
- Legends: Charlie Whittingham, the Bald Eagle
- Recruiting Ready Signs on for Bashford Manor
- Birdatthewire Makes Gulfstream Return
- Red Rifle Aims to Repeat in Dominion Day
- White-Headed Foal Named Southern Phantom
- S'Maverlous is Cornhusker Highweight