The "Giant Killer" H. Allen Jerkens did it again Saturday as Irving and Marjorie Cowan's Society Selection, under a patient ride by Ray Ganpath, came from well off the pace to run down Victory U.S.A. close to home in the $500,000 Frizette (gr. I) for 2-year-old fillies at Belmont Park Saturday.
The white placard hanging outside Barn 30 along the Belmont Park backstretch reads: H. A. Jerkens Racing Stable. The H. stands for Harry, but it is seldom used. Allen Jerkens trains racehorses here. His workers call him, "The Chief."
Most Popular Stories
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Fair Grounds in the Spotlight
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut
- Guest Suite Taking Farish, Howard on Classic Ride
- Three Rules Fires Florida Bullet